I made a huge mistake. I tried to comprehend the vastness of my bookshelf and everything on it that I haven’t read. I am now spiraling into a black hole of combined self-loathing/inspiration. So of course I made a list to prioritise what I really want to read this year.
This list includes series that I loved but haven’t finished (you know the feeling when the sequel comes out but you can’t quite be bothered to reread the first book?) as well as books that I’ve owned for ages but haven’t read, series that are repeatedly recommended, and new releases that I’ve just bought or am eagerly anticipating.
I’ve allowed myself 40 spaces because that’s how many books I read last year. I’d love to get up to 52, one book a week, but when work is busy that’s impossible. Luckily I’ve managed to tick off a handful already this year!
Anyway, watch this space whilst I spend the entire year ignoring everything I’ve planned, panicking when YALC authors are announced and I have to add 25 more books to the list, getting distracted by Netflix marathons and buying completely unrelated trash on Kindle.
Alice Oseman – Radio Silence Alwyn Hamilton – Rebel of the Sands
- Brent Weeks – The Blinding Knife
- Brent Weeks – The Broken Eye
- Scott Fitzgerald – The Great Gatsby
- Holly Bourne – How Hard Can Love Be?
Holly Smale – All that Glitters
- Holly Smale – Head over Heels
- Jandy Nelson – I’ll Give You the Sun
- Kazuo Ishiguro – The Buried Giant
- Lauren Oliver – Delirium
- Margaret Atwood – The Handmaid’s Tale
- Marissa Meyer – Cinder
- Marissa Meyer – Scarlet
- Marissa Meyer – Cress
Melinda Salisbury – The Sleeping Prince
- Patrick Ness – A Monster Calls
- Peter V. Brett – The Daylight War
- Peter V. Brett – The Skull Throne
Pierce Brown – Red Rising
- Pierce Brown – Golden Son
- Pierce Brown – Morning Star
- Rachel Harman – Shadow Scale
- Sally Green – Half Lost
Sara Barnard – Beautiful Broken Things Sarah J. Maas – A Court of Mist and Fury
- Sarah J. Maas – Empire of Storms
- Sarah Raasch – Snow Like Ashes
- Sarah Raasch – Ice Like Fire
- Stephanie Perkins – Anna and the French Kiss
- Stephanie Perkins – My True Love Gave to Me
- Susan Dennard – Something Strange and Deadly
- Susan Ee – Angelfall
- Susan Ee – World After
- Susan Ee – End of Days
- Tehereh Mafi – Shatter Me
- Tehereh Mafi – Unravel Me
- Tehereh Mafi – Ignite Me
- Victoria Aveyard – Red Queen
- Victoria Aveyard – Glass Sword
What else should be on my list? Which amazing new releases am I missing?